About Me

Brian and Heather
View my complete profile

Sunday, January 30, 2011

Sentimental


I am not often a sentimental person. When I have sentimental thoughts, I don't often share them. Maybe I'm evolving as a human being, maybe being surrounded by constant chemicals every day is getting to me, but here goes -
A couple weeks ago I was sitting at the front desk running tickets back to the clinic floor and I was thinking "Holy crap! Tomorrow I will have been married for a year!!!" In all honesty it feels so much longer than a year. Brian and I have seen each other on an almost daily basis since September of 2007. When I met him my first thoughts were, no joke, "he doesn't look as old as he is" (he was 26 at the time)
My roommate Jenny and I quickly became friends with him and his roommates. We pretty much did everything together. We watched Lost and Prison Break, watched random movies, went swimming at the hotel one of my roommates worked for, supported them in their basketball games, we were even in the same FHE group that we tried to get out of on a weekly basis since most of our activities involved 'Catch Phrase' or '2 Truths and a Lie'. From the first week of knowing Brian I knew I wanted to be his friend. He is just one of those people that gets along with EVERYONE. He was really one of my best friends. I knew I could trust him and that he'd do anything he could to help me if I needed it because thats what he did for all his friends. Our relationship slowly evolved to what it is today. Even though a lot has changed, most of the time I still feel like I'm over at apt 46 hanging out with my best friend.

So a couple weeks ago between running tickets and greeting guests, I was thinking about how much and how little has changed when I had a thought that made me have to fight back the tears pretty hard. Right before I packed up and left for college, my bishop had me come in for a little interview. We talked about where I was going and how my life was going to change, all the normal stuff. Then he asked if I was dating. I said that I wasn't at the moment and to my surprise he said was happy with that. He told me that I didn't need to be dating right now and not to stress out about it. He told me to just do what I knew was right and things would work themselves out. His exact words were "some day you'll find someone and you'll love to hang out with them, and he'll ask you to hang out forever." At the time I thought this was incredibly sappy and an awkward way for the bishop to try to use teenaged terms to better relate to me. I didn't really think about it again until now. That statement, which I shrugged off at the time, ended up being entirely true and, I believe, inspired. As sappy as I still think it is, I'm so grateful it worked out that way. I can't imagine it working out any other way for me. I don't think I could have handled it any other way. I really did get to marry my best friend.

1 comments:

Tiffany Riggs

Heather I just read your post and its amazing! You and Brian are such a fun couple and I'm so happy you've had a great year together! I love what your bishop said and I don't think you could ask for any thing more than having someone to "hang out" with for the rest of your life! :)

Post a Comment